| || |
- Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, LL.B. (1979).
- Dept. of Economics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, B.A (1983).
- Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, LL.D (1984).
- Full Professor (2003).
- Bora Laskin Chair in Law (1998).
- Associate Professor (1996).
- Senior Lecturer (1991).
- Lecturer (1984).
- Tort Law, Bills and Notes, Limitation of Civil Actions, Economic Analysis of Tort Law, Corporations.
- On the Rector's (Provost) list of distinguished teachers (2006/7, 2009/10)
Major Hebrew University Positions
At the Law Faculty
- Dean of the Faculty (1999-2002).
- Vice Dean (1993-1996).
Head of the Academic Committee - Aharon Barak Center for Legal and Interdisciplinary research (since 2010).
At the University
- Member of the (Tenure) Appointment Committee – Humanities and Social Sciences (2006–2008).
- Head of the Advising Professional Committee on Admission and Teaching Evaluation (2003-2007).
- Member of the Hebrew U. Constitution Committee (2002-2004).
- Member of the Senate Standing Committee (1999-2002).
- Member and Head of various disciplinary bodies (students and faculty) since the 1980's.
National Academic Positions
- Head of the Executive Committee - the National Institute for Testing and Assessment (in charge of the psychometric admission tests) (since 2007).
- Head of the Israeli Universities Admission Committee (2004 – 2007).
- Member of various subcommittees of the Council of Higher Education established by the Minister of Education to examine and approve LL.B and LL.M
programs offered by Law Colleges (2002 – 2011).
- Head of a special committee of the Council of Higher Education established by the Minister of Education to set criteria for M.A. studies Law for graduates of other disciplines (2004 - 2005).
Law reform committees and related activities
- Drafting the 2005 Law regulating the tort immunity of public officials.
- Drafting the chapters on Tort Law and Tort Remedies in the proposed 2011 draft of the Israeli Civil Code.
- Drafting the new Limitation of Civil Actions Law which is part of the proposed Civil Code.
- Member of the Codification Committee on Israeli Private Law - headed by Chief Justice Barak (1996 - 2005).
- Member of the Law Reform Committee on the Israeli Law of Torts - headed by Chief Justice Barak (1994-2005).
- Member of the Law Reform Committee on the Israeli Law of Limitation of Actions - headed by Chief Justice Barak (1992-1995).
- Principal researcher on Israeli law of Limitation of Actions (funded by the Ministry of Justice) (1986-1995).
- Member of the European Group on Tort Law (The Tilburg Group) (since 1999).
- Member of the European Center of Tort and Insurance Law (ECTIL) (since 1999).
- Member of the American Law Institute (since 2004).
- Editor in-chief, "Mishpatim" student-edited Law Review (1978).
- Chairperson of the Editorial Board of Piskey Din, Israel's Supreme Court official reporter (1999 - 2002).
- Lecturer, Institute of Advanced Judicial Studies (since 1980).
- Lecturer, the Institute of Advanced Studies for State Attorneys (since 1980).
- Lecturer, the Institute of Continuing Studies for Lawyers (since 1990).
Statutory and Public Commissions
- Member of a Public Committee established by the Ministry of Justice to recommend ways of coping with the "Wrongful Life" dilemma (2011-2012).
- Member of a statutory commission appointed by Israeli Government to appoint Directors to the nationalized pension funds (2003 - 2008).
- Member of a statutory commission established to propose criteria for assisting victims of a building collapse disaster (2002).
- Participating as an expert in meetings, on various issues, of the parliamentary Constitution, Law & Justice committee and the Education Committee (since 2001).
13. Boards of Directors
- Director at Harel Insurance and Finance group (since 2012).
- Director at Bank Leumi – head and member of its audit committee and of other committees (2005 - 2011).
- Member of various boards of directors and of investment committees of financial bodies (1987 - 2005).
13. Other Positions and Activities
- Member of the Israeli Bar Association (since 1979).
- Member of the academic team that established the Law Faculty of Haifa U. (1991- 1993).
- Member of the founding team that established the Academic College of Law in Ramat-Gan (1995 – 1996).
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
1. Tort Law: Limits of Liability (Sacher Institute - the Hebrew University (2012) (1,500 p.) (Hebrew, 2 Volumes) .
2. Tort Law: Israelin The International Encyclopedia of Laws, Kluwer Law International (2003) (300 p.).
3. Proportional Liability (I. Gilead, M. Green, B. Koach eds., De Gruyter, forthcoming 2012/3)
4. Classification of Private Law: Bases of Liability and Remedies (C. Fassberg, I. Gilead eds., Sacher Institute, The Hebrew University, 2003).
5. Developments in Austrian and Israeli Private Law (H. Hausmaninger, H. Kozoil, A.M. Rabello, I. Gilead – eds., Springer, 1999).
Articles in Edited Journals
6. "Human Rights in Tort Law and in Contract law - the Quiet Revolution" Kiryat Mishpat (2009) (Hebrew).
7. "Tort Law in Chief Justice Barak judgments" in Barak's Book (Mishpatim) 487 (2009) (Hebrew).
8. "Rejoinder: The New Law of Limitation of Civil Actions" 36 Mishpatin (2007) 855 (Hebrew).
9. "Comments on the Tort Provisions in the Proposed new Civil Code" 36 Mishpatim 761 (2007) (Hebrew).
10. "The 'Lost Years' – Compensating Dependants – a Note on the Atingerdecision" 4 Alei Mishpat 47 ( 2005) (Hebrew).
11. "Expanding Tort Liability through Causation - A Critical Analysis" 34 Mishpatim 385 (2004) (Hebrew).
12. Non-Consensual Liability of a Contractual Party: Contract, Negligence, Both or In-Between?" 3 Theoretical Inquiries in Law 511(2002).
13. "Judging the Judges?" 3 Alei Mishpat 255 (2002) (Hebrew).
14. “The Evidential Loss Doctrine: Has the Burden of Proof been Rebutted”? 30 Mishpatim 317 (2000) (Hebrew).
15. “Signature on a Bill - Authorization” 29 Mishpatim263 (1998) (Hebrew).
16. "Tort Law and Internalization: The Gap Between Private Loss and Social Cost” 17 Int. Rev. Law & Econ. 589 (1997).
17. "On Presumptive Liability, Rationality and Intuition in Determining the Scope of Liability for Negligence", 26Mishpatim 295 (1995) (Hebrew).
18. "Tort Liability of Public Authorities and Public Officials" (Part II), 3 Mishpat Umimshal 55 (1995) (Hebrew).
19. "The Evolution of Israeli Tort Law from its Common Law Origins", European Legal Tradition and Israel 523 (A.M. Rabello ed., Jerusalem, 1994).
20. "Tort Liability of Public Authorities and Public Officials" (Part I), 2 Mishpat Umimshal 339(1994) (Hebrew).
21. "On the Deduction of Income Tax from the Award of Lost Earnings to Road Accident Victims" 24 Mishpatim 593 (1994) (Hebrew).
22. "On the Conformity of Liability and Insurance Aspects of Road Accidents Victims Compensation Arrangement" 23Mishpatim 389 (1994) (Hebrew).
23. "On the Limits of Efficient Deterrence in Tort Law" 22Mishpatim 421(1993) (Hebrew).
24. "Myocardial Infarction as a Work Accident" 40 Hapraklit 241 (1992) (with A. Sever) (Hebrew).
25. "You Shall Honor the Aged" 22 Mishpatim 233 (1992) (Hebrew).
26. "Issues in the Law of Torts" 24 Israel L.R. 651 (1990).
27. "Strict Product Liability, Defective Products (Liability) Law 1980", 8 Bar-Ilan Law Stud. 179 (1990) (Hebrew).
28. "The Law of Limitations: A Proposal for Statutory Reform in Israel Tort Law", (Part II) 19 Mishpatim 369 (1990) (Hebrew).
29. "The Law of Limitations: A Proposal for Statutory Reform in Israel Tort Law", (Part I) 19 Mishpatim 81 (1989) (Hebrew).
30. "On the Elements of Negligence in Israel's Law of Tort", 14 Tel Aviv U.L.R. 319 (1989) (Hebrew).
31. "Limitation of Actions and Prescription: Guidelines for Reform in Israel Land Law" 18 Mishpatim 177 (1988) (Hebrew).
32. "On the Interrelation Between the Factual and the Normative Aspects of Negligence" 15 Mishpatim 446 (1986) (Hebrew)
33. "Limitation of Actions and Latent Diseases", 14Mishpatim (1985) (Hebrew).
34. "Coase Theorem, Competitive Market and Product Liability Law" 20 Israel L.R. 39 (1985).
35. "B. Ackerman, Reconstructing American Law", 20 Israel L.R. 581 (1985) (book review).
36. "Rethinking Causation in Israel Tort Law" 14 Mishpatim 15 (1984) (Hebrew).
37. "On Linkage and Revaluation"15 Israel L.R. 79 (1980).
38. "The Meaning of the Expression' Accused' in sec. 2(2) of the Law of Extradition" 8 Mishpatim 302 (1977) (Hebrew).
Articles in Edited Books
39. "General Report on Proportional Liability" in Proportional Liability(I. Gilead, M. Green, B. Koach eds., (De Gruyter, forthcoming 2012)
40. "Introduction to Economic Analysis of Loss Division" in Aggregation and Divisibility of Damage" 449 (K. Oliphant ed., Springer, 2009).
41. "Aggregation and divisibility of damage in Israeli Tort Law" in Aggregation and Divisibility of Damage" 255 (K. Oliphant ed., Springer, 2009).
42. "Economic Analysis of Prescription in Tort Law" in Tort and Insurance Law Yearbook: European Tort Law 2007 (H, Koziol and B. Steininger eds, Springer, 2008).
43. "Limitation of Civil Actions" in The Draft Civil Code for Israel in Comparative Perspective (Kurt Siehr & Reinhard Zimmerman eds.) 192 (2008).
44. "Harm Screening Under Negligence Law" in Emerging Issues in Tort Law (J. Neyers, E. Chamberlain & S.G.A. Pitel eds., Hart Publishing) 251 (2007).
45. "Daphne Barak-Erez and Israel Gilead "Human Rights in Private Law: The Israeli Case" in Human Rights and the Private Sphere – A Comparative Study 252 (Routledge-Cavendish, Dawn Oliver and Jorg Fedtke eds., 2007).
46. "On the Justifications of Strict Liability" in European Tort Law 2004 28( Helmut Koziol & Barbara .C. Steininger eds., 2005).
47. "Israeli Report on Fault" in Unification of Tort Law: Fault 129 (P. Widmer, ed., Kluwer, 2005).
48. " Israeli Report on Multiple Tortfeasors" in Unification of Tort Law: Multiple Tortfeasors 103 (H. Rogers, ed., Kluwer, 2004).
49. "Israeli Report on Contributory Negligence" in Unification of Tort Law: Contributory Negligence139 (U. Magnus, M. Martin-Casalas, eds., Kluwer, 2003).
50. “Israeli Report on Liability for Damage Caused by Others" in Unification of Tort Law: Vicarious Liability 139 (J. Spier, ed, Kluwer, 2003).
51. "Liability and Insurance in Cases of Damage caused by Terrorist Attacks –Economic Analysis” 238 (B.A, Koch, ed., Springer, 2003).
52. “Tort Liability of Public Authorities and Public Servants in Israeli Tort Law” – in Tort Liability of Public Authorities in Comparative Perspective 499(D. Fairgrieve, M. Andenas, J. Bell eds., - British Institute of International and Comparative Law, 2002).
53. "Israeli Report on Strict Liability"in Unification of Tort Law: Strict Liability 183(B.A. Koch and H. Koziol eds., Kluwer, 2002).
54. "Non-Pecuniary Loss – The Israeli Report" in Damages for Non-Pecuniary Loss in a Comparative Perspective 297 (W.V. H. Rogers ed., Springer, 2001).
55. "Causation, Risk and ‘Evidential Loss’” in Development in Austrian and Israeli Private Law 187 )H. Hausmaninger, H. Kozoil, A.M. Rabello, I. Gilead – eds., Springer , 1999).
56. "Economic Loss", Israel Reports to the XV International Congress of Comparative Law) 79 M.A. Rabello ed., Sacher Institute, Hebrew University, 1999).
57. National Report on the Israeli Law of Limitation of Civil Actions Submitted to the 14th Congress of the International Academy of Comparative Law, Athens Greece, 1994. Published in Extinctive Prescription 207 (E.H. Hondius, ed., Kluwer, 1995). Also published in a compilation of Israeli Reports to the 14th Congress by Sacher Institute, 75-105.
Contributions to various Festschrifts and articles in Israeli newspapers
Economic Analysis of Tort Law and the Defective Product Liability Law 1980. Approved 1984.